Following on from our previous blog which discussed the importance of knowing the difference between an allergic reaction and irritation, this week I would like to give you some top tips on how to manage these reactions if they happen to your client.
Prevention is better than cure, so always make sure you do a patch test on clients before you apply adhesive. It’s important to remember that allergic reactions can vary from person to person, so the symptoms may look different each time you see them, but they will usually develop up to 24 hours after contact with the product.
If your client believes that they are experiencing an allergic reaction to the adhesive, it is recommended that they take an over-the-counter antihistamine to reduce the symptoms. Make emergency removal appointments available for anyone who thinks they might be reacting to the adhesive so that your clients know they will be prioritised if they experience any issues.
When it comes to lash removal, carefully ensure that you have removed every bit of adhesive to prevent the allergen causing any further issues, then rinse with Salin to soothe the eyes. Have a cool compress ready after you have removed the lashes to help reduce redness and swelling.
Fumes from the adhesive tend to be the biggest cause of irritation in clients, so it’s a good idea to take steps which will reduce the chances of this happening, such as:
- Applying lashes in a well-ventilated room
- Using an adhesive with low fumes
- Reminding your client to keep their eyes closed
- Reducing the amount of adhesive used in the process
- Regularly using a nano mister to speed up the curing process and reduce fumes.
Happy lashing, lovelies!